• 26 September 2021, 2 PM CET / 3 PM EAT
• Africa Climate Week 2021, Virtual Thematic Sessions
• Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87384805595
The event provides a comprehensive overview of East Africa’s existing carbon market portfolio (CDM, voluntary carbon standards, and Article 6 pilots) and provide an outlook on how to transition to Article 6. Key experts will engage with the audience in an interactive manner through polls, questions and discussions throughout the event.
- CFI/EAA will present key insights from existing regional carbon market portfolios (CDM, VCM, Art.6 piloting), highlighting key achievements and observations. The presentation is based on published national and regional carbon market fact sheets that take stock of projects and programmes, carbon credit volumes, and sustainable development contributions in light of the NDC of EAA member states.
- Specific case studies highlight the high quality, untapped potential and innovative nature of the Eastern African carbon market portfolio. Programmatic approaches are ready to rapidly scale up existing operations, provided there will be a robust market demand signal.
- These insights translate into expectations for COP26 on Art.6 and CDM transition from an Eastern African perspective
- Transition into Article 6: emerging opportunities and how the region has started to engage; how countries’ carbon market portfolios provide a strong foundation and contribute to NDC targets;
- Highlight the role of EAA to support countries in Article 6 negotiations/readiness.
Perspectives Climate Group